San Mateo County Community College District campuses and facilities will reopen on Friday, Aug. 21, at 5:30 am, for essential campus operations and some face-to-face instruction. As of 4pm on Aug. 20, air quality at District campuses is projected to stay within the “good” to “moderate” range on Friday, allowing campuses to reopen. This includes limited face-to-face classes that are scheduled to meet on Friday.
Most classes and student services are being held online or remotely this semester, due to COVID-19. All classes that are scheduled to meet online/remotely will also continue to take place as planned.
Access to campuses is strictly limited to the following groups:
- Instructors and students for classes scheduled for face-to-face meetings on Friday
- Essential workers (Public Safety, ITS, Facilities)
- Those participating in special District operations such as the emergency food distribution, class supply distributions, and technology distributions
Locations and operations open tomorrow with limited access include:
- Cañada College
- College of San Mateo
- Skyline College
- SMCCCD District Office
- Second Harvest emergency food distribution
- Materials and supply distributions for classes
The District Emergency Operations Center makes a determination at the end of each day whether to open or close the campuses on the following day. That decision is made based on the next day’s air quality forecasts available for Redwood City, San Mateo, and San Bruno at AirNow.gov. Future updates will only be provided if campus operations are impacted due to declining air quality conditions.